2013-07-23

Pitchfork Music Festival: 2013 coverage from just like a fan. Part 1: LIL B



I'm just going to start... PART 1

Despite Bjork, R Kelly and Belle & Sebastian headlining and The Breeders playing that one album and Wire playing and Swans playing and I don't know Solange playing, who were all fantastic in their own right, and whom I will discuss below in some sort of detail or later, my favorite moment and the one I'm still smiling about and wishing I could re-live right now is Lil B.

Having a certain admiration for the BasedGod/Lil B/Pretty Bitch, etc going into his live show, and having several (ok, quite a few) of his mixtapes (that I've listened to in some form-over-sometime), I knew that I had to be there, up close with the BasedWorld for this. But I really had no idea how much enjoyment I'd find in his set. Lil B, of course, must have been a weird show for pitchfork to book, especially on the “Red” stage at 5:15 on Sunday. Right in the middle of everything, there he was. And let's not forget that children under 10 accompanied by an adult got in free... so there were kids running around all over.

The stage setup for Lil B was more of a tear-down really. By the time we were all waiting in anticipation, the stage was completely empty. No El-P/Killer Mike/Evian Christ/Ryan Helmsworth producer/sound/music-making setup. There was nothing on stage. His crew (a mixture of friends and fellow musicians – Lee Spielman from Trash Talk, etc) stood off next to the on-stage mixing board, hyping the crowd to a certain extent and mostly laughing. A sea of Pink bandanas gathered directly in front of the stage, a few signs held up amongst them (“Lil B, You Can Fuck my Bitch ->”), and what must have been a large amount of intrigued, bemused, and ultimately angry people spread around the rest of the grounds once he got up there. But for that moment, there was nothing front and center.

Everyone, we, all waited in anticipation. Several BasedGod chants started up, people appropriately lit-up and took swigs and yelled and whatever'd at the right time. Until Lil B and his microphone stepped out.

And no one followed him. The music started, and still, no one followed. The stage was JUST Lil B, his raggedy shoes, jeans, and a floral button-up. Nothing else. No backdrop, no instruments, no crew. He played bangers. By himself. He played stuff you could not not dance to. By himself. He took his shirt off for us, he spoke to us, he cared about us. The beats and music came from nowhere, or better, as Lil B might say, they came from his soul. Everything came from his soul. There's really no other way he remembered all those damn lines (ok, a little too far). But seriously, for the 10000's of songs he's released, it's actually incredible. We all danced to every one of them. We all followed him every time. As a live MC, Lil B was superb. Or, as superb as Lil B could ever possibly need to be.

Because for as many people as he might infuriate, or the millions of people who think he's the worst rapper to ever have existed, or the layer(s) of distorted confusion one must sift through to try and understand what is Lil B; his intent was clear It's never not clear.. He loves us. More than anything. We all love him. More than anything. We should all love each other. More than anything. We should stay safe and appreciate existence. Violence and rage are unnecessary if you stay positive. Sometimes life is hard, but we have to stay positive – thank whoever for our ability to breathe and exist and enjoy this. His message's never been about bitches or drugs or fellatio, etc. It's all love. Everything else is just his way of showing this post-whatever culture how to understand that and appreciate that. Casue no way we're going to figure that out on our own, through concrete ideas and obvious words. Lil B is a genius, and I'm not joking here. This is serious. He understands this generation better than anyone I've ever witnessed.

Nothing was clearer for those of us up-front (and the appreciators in the back). Every few songs, Lil B'd stop and smile, and thank us, and remind us what it's all about. What he's all about. By the time “I Love You” started, nothing at the entire festival over the entire 3-days felt more genuine than his repeat accapella verse. “I wanna say I love you. I wanna say I love you too. Thank you for loving Lil B, thank you for supporting me. Shouts out to my Mom. I love you. Yes you can cry to this. Yes, I love you too. If anything just happen though, just just know this, I live for you and I love this. Thank you BasedWorld for being nice.”

Nothing made me happier than Lil B's hour set at pitchfork. And nothing felt as genuine as the ten minutes Lil B spent hugging his fans up front after his set time was well-over. I enjoyed so many things this weekend, but I can't say that any one of the performers really understood what a pitchork set-time truly could be as well as he did. No one took advantage of their stage-time quite like Lil B. No one united the crowd through joy and happiness and love like Lil B. He understood what musicians-who-play-at-pitchfork typically do not understand. About the power of a festival. Yes Bjork was incredible, Yes R Kelly was so much fun, yes I think MIA was ridiculous, and yeah, Andy Stott is seriously the best ever. But as far as a festival performance, Lil B did it the best this weekend. 36 bitches, respectfully.


Now go on and hate, I'lll be back with another part or two over the next couple days. At least Animal Collective wasn't there, I heard they put on a real bad show a couple years back.