2013-07-03

½ of 2013 = probably all of 2012 for some of you, lol



There's a certain amount of charm, I'd like to believe, in telling someone, “No, I haven't heard that yet.” - or - “I haven't had a chance to listen to that yet.” - or - “I don't really care about the new Kanye record.” - or - “Daft Punk was really never my thing.” But the more probable impression of those responses, in 2103, is that I just don't care about anything anymore, or that I'm out of touch with everything, or that I'm just a negative, snobby, pretentious dude. I haven't quite decided what you all must think of me this year... So, this is me bros, I'm putting myself out there.

I'm telling you how I feel. 2013. Yep. We're here, I'm back, and I'm still doing this roundup thing that so many places feel inclined to continue, as an Internet tradition. For me, this is purely rooted in my need, as a consumer, to organize what I've heard and try and make a certain amount of sense out of it up until now. I used to use this platform, if I may call it that, as a certain means of yelling about my own tastes, but at this point, I can't say my platform is exalted in the least, so if you're still reading this, we as a proper Imprint love you and consider you one of our dearest friends : )

2013, in a huge ever-growing nutshell, has been the year of, (even more so than most of these kinds of years) like, all those people who are big and important and whatnot releasing stuff that is more or less the exact same as what we'd expect because these are bands that carved a certain sound for themselves within that, umm well, sound. You know what I mean? Boards of Canada, My Bloody Valentine, Justin Timberlake, The Knife, Kanye West, Daft Punk, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, like, I don't know, Jay-Z?? I mean all these people putting out records are HUGE. BOC? MBV? DP? JT? TK? K-DUBS?

A few of these bands were vital in my growing up days, are still relevant in my life, still influence my being. And a few, well... I just never really grabbed on to 'em when I most likely should have. And so world, heap on that feeling of pressure, that undefined guilt, the you-know-you-should-be able-to-at-least-talk-about-a-band/film/thing-because-it's-like-really-important sunken heart kind of feeling. I can't really say I know Daft Punk all that well. I don't know if I could even describe the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to you. Teagan and Sarah are twins? Maybe. Yeah, I really like the new JT record (aka Suit & Tie). That's been this year. I'm sorry I don't know what I think of all these resurgent records. I don't have anything to say about them because you all know way more about them and their respective catalogs and their persona's and their lives and what they mean to you than I do. I love that, I think it's fantastic. It's the way I feel about a select few other bands (this year) too. I'm sorry I react poorly to your Daft Punk inquiries. They're just not my thing, it's not that they're bad, it's just that I don't really like Daft Punk.

Now, fuck. BOC? MBV? Yeah, let's go all day. That's my lifeblood right there, my breadandbutter soul, all the polluted American (???) air I could breathe for the last 5 years. It's the same way you guys feel about Discovery. That's great!

Oh yeah, and Kanye. Fuck off. Seriously. I'm sure your record is good, and that you're doing stuff that's “original” and “new” and “different” but it will never be as good as, say, stuff like Kendrick or Main Attrakionz or even Danny Brown for that matter because you're a douche and we all know it. And you being genuine is nothing that I care to hear ever again because it's just you, a genuine DoucheBag. Now, go produce another Common record and we'll see what's going on. Dilla did it better anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously: this whole no-illegal-downloading thing, as my good friend Cody D. so astutely pointed out, has painted me a proper Morlock. It's hard to get big-name records (well, 2013 style big name records) from online shops. And I've been bad about visiting Cheapo : (

That's it. Happy 2013. We're almost to Christmas, when I'll be back again, as this blog has shown that we're devoted to the Constant. I love all of you and wish you the best. Kisses and smiles and rainbows forever.

Oh yeah, Deathbot. We have an EP in the works, should be out in a month or so. 

THE LIST
  1. Boards of Canada – Tomorrow's Harvest
  2. My Bloody Valentine - MBV
  3. Dean Blunt – The Redeemer
  4. Deafheaven – Sunbather
  5. Dirty Beaches – Drifters / Love is the Devil
  6. 1991 – High Tech / High Life
  7. Autre Ne Veut – Anxiety
  8. Henry Flynt – Graduation
  9. Mark Ernestus / Jeri-Jeri - 800% Ndagga
  10. Jenny Hval – Innocence is Kinky
  11. Akron/Family – Sub Verses
  12. The Knife – Shaking the Habitual
  13. Powell – Untitled
  14. RP Boo – Legacy
  15. George Fitzgerald – Needs You / Thinking of You